Thursday 5 July 2012

It's hard to say goodbye.........

Recently a dear friend of mine suffered a terrible loss and discussing a vision of his late mother it brought to mind a memory of something unexplainable that helped me through a difficult time.

During my mothers illness my grandparents took charge of me and I continued to live with them until the last of their days.  My beloved grandad (who was an avid pigeon racer in his healthier retirement days) died after a brief battle with cancer.  The day after he passed, a pigeon appeared sitting on the awning looking into our front door, we joked that it was grandad come to see if we were all okay (as we had joked during his lifetime that had he the choice, he would be a pigeon) and although it wasn't there everyday it was there more often than not.  Less than a year later my grandmother passed peacefully in her sleep (her closest friend believed she had died from a broken heart, so hard had she found it to live without him) and we noticed that the pigeon had disappeared.  To sooth our pain we made up stories (but not really believing) that the pigeon was indeed grandad and he was looking for his beloved wife.

The day after my grandmothers funeral, 2 pigeons appeared huddled together on the very spot our visitor had occupied for the last 10 months, they stayed with us for 2 weeks before they finally left us for good and we no longer were disbelieving of their origins and intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment